Friday, October 8, 2010

Hometown

I born at Sibu, Sarawak, Malaysia but grow up at Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia till i finish my secondary school then further my study at KL for two years then continue my studies at London for two years. After graduate, i went to Singapore to look for job. Don't ask me why Singapore instead London or Malaysia. But i do regret didn't work at London instead coming back. However now i'm at Australia doing my Master course and at the same time accompany my sister.

Normally when people ask me where is my hometown, i will said Miri instead Sibu since i don't really grow up at that town. I think the main reason i will said Miri because i can't describe the town that i born beside the main language that the local people use 'foochow' in the daily life another Chinese dialects. It's like at KL, the local people use Cantonese in their daily life.

Cost of living at Sibu is the lowest between thus big city/town at Sarawak. Since I'm hardly went back to Sibu accept their is important event in my family then i will going back to Sibu else i don't think i have a good reason to do so. Sibu really give me impression as village town. Relaxing and if you are really stay at village area, everyone will know each other and if there is outsider at that village, i believe the community in that village will know that you are not local.

Strange thing is i don't get used to it when come to shopping at this town. After some unforgettably experience at this town, i will grab my mother or sibling to company me to buy something cause i'm really worry about communication barrier when dealing with the shop owner or staff. Trust me when you are at town and speaking English when buying stuff and you are Chinese really give them a weird impression. From my experience i had hard time in communicate when buying stuff at this town till my mother come over and rescue me. i really can't believe that i need my mother to rescue me while at others city/country normally i will be the tour guide, i think that's really hint about how lousy is my Mandarin and my mother tongue. Well everyone in my family member agree that my mandarin and mother tongue skills is the worst between all my sibling till my parent regret didn't send me to Chinese school instead private school which focus more on English.

Well it's definitely big issue for me going to Chinese countries since all the sign board will be in Chinese word instead English. But i do like Hong Kong and Taiwan. That's definitely place that i plan to visit again in the future.

But since i had leave my grow up city which is Miri for certain period till sometime when i'm back to the city i do feel like a visitor instead feel like back to hometown. I think the longest period that i stay at Miri is on last year for a month and other then that normally i will be back for a week then get back to location that i based on that time. Miri is extremely warm and hot for whole days accept there is rain on that particular days. Well can't blame it since it's Oil City and near to beach as well. But still not as hot as Melbourne on summer time, which is dry, high humidity and the wind is warm which doesn't make much different actually and trust me you will prefer without wind on these situation.

I will post some picture from Miri city and Sibu town but not the recently picture. Will try my best to search in my hard disk.

Cheers and enjoy your weekend.

3 comments:

  1. hehe.. I went to Miri once.. back in 2007.. I went to Mulu's Cave.. and climbing up to see the pinnacles.. it was a great memories cause I went there with my ex-bf.. hhmm.. tho he doesn't love me and end up married ady.. but at least he understood my feelings and made me happy b4 he left me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you like that city? Speaking about Mulu cave, i have never been there before. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I din spend much time in Miri city.. things that I can remember was.. alot of seafood restaurants.. haha.. wish I can go there again 1 day.. hehe..
    OMG.. u stay there but never go to the largest cave in d world.. haha.. u shud go.. i can be ur tourist guide.. lol...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and I'm appreciate for the comment.